Thursday, August 9, 2012

Wilbur Fisk, on the Train









Wilbur Fisk
On The Train

And on the train,
clack,
and clack,
sends me
almost to sleep,

but,
I sneak awake.
A jet carves
sky,
as a train
with wings,
we spy one another,
I’m sure.

Out my window,
weeds lean,
from a push
I cannot see.
A steel bridge
stands in the water,
more of us
drive its back.

The train stops
in Newark,
a cart
sits by itself
on the platform,
loaded with luggage
and no one around.

We leave together
on this train,
past a gutted
ex-factory,
trash on the tracks,
clack
and clack,
lures me.

I lean
toward the window,
and think of
all my years,
wanting to come,
are tears,
I’m confused
as we come
to a stop
at the terminal
of the air.

Just a moment
for our stop,
then clack,
and clack,
scrub shrubs
more trash,
and I go by.
But,
tears
have returned
to their storage.

No stop today
in North Elizabeth,
I thank you for that,
this is a local train,
but not that local,
today.

Vestibules
gather riders,
as ready
to birth them
to proper
stations,
and brakes cry
beneath us,
as they leave
their click clack
mother.
Rip rap hugs
tracks,
as vestibules
spew travelers.

And then,
clack and clack,
we roll again,
those of us that stayed.

The crowd thins
as the train
births her cargo,
the trip ages
as we do,
soon,
I’ll leave,
when the brakes cry
for me.

Clack and clack,
I won’t hear,
just those that
stayed.


Hayward 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment