Monday, August 13, 2012

New Chicken








New Chicken

She could
almost walk,
balance was a teeter,
just this side
of fall.

Barely past,
one year
old,
she understood
when spoken to,
but,
when she tried,
it seemed
 she was a better
walker.

On this day,
she reeled
in front of me,
the walking
was working,
but words
were
train
cars,
on an uneven track.

She’d turn her
head,
steal a look
up at me,
smile,
during the first
tour,
of her new home.

There were,
new floors,
new rooms,
new stairs,
new windows,
everything was new,
in the new house.

She knew,
as she guided me,
so proud,
was she,
as she led
the giant following her,
each step,
a daunting task,
an almost
crash.

She saved
the most exciting,
to take my
hand,
and push me,
into
the new chicken.

New chicken
was
new kitchen,
close, as she would get,
but,
close enough,
to make me smile,
then laugh,
as we stood,
almost fell,
inside,
beside
one another,
 in
new chicken,


Hayward 2006

1 comment: