Thursday, August 23, 2012

Father and Son










Father and Son

Pop?
Yep?
What’s it like to get old?
Well, why would you ask that?
I just wondered when people
decide to go to their graves.
It’s not like going to bed.
No?
Nope.
You can’t decide?
Nope, someone decides for you.
And then you just go and die?
Sort of. You gonna eat that?
Na, I’m full, besides I should be ready
in case someone decides
it’s time for me to die.
Don’t worry buddy,
you got a lot of time left.
Just listen to your mom
and me and enjoy the ride.
What ride?
Life.
Oh.
How old are you?
Nine.
Nine?
Yep.
From where I am now, it’s not so bad,
but, I’m not so old. Your grandpa used
to be my age, and yours too.
Grandpa was nine?!
Yep.
Now he’s gone back to wearing diapers mom says.
Well, I guess we all go back to where we come from.
Pop?
Yep.
Where did we come from?
A seed.
How?
Nine huh?
Yep.
Wanna get some ice cream?
Pop?
Why did you change the subject?
I’m getting old.
Yep.
Chocolate?
Yep.
Pop, is this the ride?
Yeah buddy, this is the ride.

Hayward 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment