Monday, July 9, 2012

Away From Home








Away From Home




Elbows of ice poke
through the bottoms
of antique downspouts.
My eyes fill with tears
as I stare at winter’s work.
Squirrels chirp and scurry
at the trunk of a silver birch.
A drop stains the blotter
on the desk in my new room.

I

Miss my family
now, in the cold of what is outside, and in,
the new of now,
the crispness of unfamiliar clothes
drops of those tears
drop faster now
on the legs of mine
through my pants of uncomfortable blue.

I

get close enough to the window
feeling cold upon my face
squirrels play,
and I wish I were there
by the birch
in the grass
far from me, and the tears
on my desk.

I

catch my breath
but the tears fall fast
my first night
away from home
in a school on my own
in a room
near the squirrels
by the birch.

I

know now
comfort escapes
when growing is pain
simple looms large
that first cold day.
And I sat back down
in the chair by that desk
the tears were gone
and so were the squirrels.
My first day at the academy
alone.  Learn to fight.


Hayward 2006  

No comments:

Post a Comment